Alpha 1 Performance Thread

Have you tried Alpha 1? Drop your specs and how it performed below, so that we can help others and so that I can work on tuning for the majority.

Please post:
RAM
CPU
Video card
Performance (ideally FPS, unless you don’t think FPS was a good metric for your experience)
Thanks so much!

So, I’ve now got two rigs.

Dell Latitude E5440
Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0
(The main limiter here)

R AM: 16GB DDR3L-1600
CPU: i5 4310U - 4th gen
GPU: Intel HD 4400 (The other limiter)
Performance: at all

MSI GS63
Windows 10

RAM: 16GB
CPU: i7 - 8th gen
GPU: Nvidia RTX 1060
Looks better than on my Dell, but I’m not a hardliner for graphics…as the 1000 series GPU shows. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m pretty impressed it plays on the Intel HD card! Thanks for the update

I haven’t actually tested with the Dell yet. That was more asperational tbh. Its on my list though. Is it a Debian-compatible program on Itch?

I’ve only tried one game on it so far, Hidden Folks. It did work. Though I think it’s requirements were something like, ‘computer turns on.’

1 Like

I actually develop it on Debian 12, so that’s a definite yes.
It does require Vulkan, and it will run a bit smoother if you have any form of discrete video card.
It performs quite well on anything 1050 equiv or higher, such as a SteamDeck.
On intel cards… well, I guess you’ll have to let me know! :smiley:

1 Like

How does one get Vulkan? I’m very new at this. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can check and see if it’s intalled already with vulkan-tools:

sudo apt -y install vulkan-tools

then:

vkcube

If it pops up with a spinning cube, you’re good to go. Otherwise, you’ll need to install the likely set:

sudo apt  install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386 libvulkan1 libvulkan1:i386

Then reboot. That should cover the majority. You might need the specifics for your videocard, depending on which machine you’re using.

Well, I tested it!

I get to the “Longplay Games” screen, then it goes black, then it crashes. So I take that as a “no” to it working with an Intel HD 4400.

Ah well. I’m not terribly surprised. Vulkan installed fine though.

1 Like

I’ll have to track one down and see what I can do :slight_smile:
Thanks for testing it!

1 Like